LOST Theories - DarkUFO

Beyond Evil and Good by Niknar

I have a theory as to what we should take from the final season of Lost, so that we can understand what the finally is going to be about. I have liked all of the theories so far this season, but I have not really loved any of them until this one. I have posted lots of theories, even some that others argue are not theories at all, but this theory is different. After watching last nights episode Dr. Linus I realized that the episodes that intrigued me the most were episodes that played with power and its social relations/implications.

However, rather than thinking more deeply about how this relates to the show I thought about how it related to me. I realize that all narratives are reflections of or interpretations of life, but this seems more involved. All stories have a message, so what does this story have to say about us? I wrote a theory earlier about Pascal’s Wager, and even if the show is not a liter! al interpretation of this theory, however, the theory has some parallels with the show. You could say that Pascal was a type of game theorist (some even have). In game theory you manipulate the elements of the equation so that you can predict with a certain (pun intended) amount of certainty chance (what is unpredictable). This is a fairly effective tactic. Just think of all of the things in our lives that depend on this very practice. Insurance, the stock market, polls, and even gambling are very common examples of this practice. I am not arguing that these practices are good or bad, right or wrong, just or unjust only how they function. Last nights episode mentioned Machiavelli. He was very interested in chance. He gave us various accounts of chance in human circumstances, but they type of chance I described above is the type of chance in Machiavelli’s writing that most applies to today. You see in a certain sense chance is more effective counter part to pow! er than “free will”. You see uncertainty is not the bad g! uy it is made out to be. Perhaps it is the most effective counterbalancing agent against absolute anything. The point is that if you truly understand chance then you understand real power (like I believe Ben did at the end of yesterday’s episode). I always liked Sawyer too. Mark Twain had a great sense for irony, and you can see that in his character Tom Sawyer. You see irony helps us to see the humor in certainty, destiny, or fate. All things seem less absolute in the face of Irony. In order to embrace politics or power you must also embrace irony otherwise it is difficult to maintain a healthy conscious. Thus, my theory is that the show is ultimately about us. How or if we will ever understand the rules of the game (I mean the games that are played in life, the transparency of politics, and those that dictate our social relationships) so that we can start playing too. Perhaps even a better game. “And it is only for your afternoon, my written and depicted thoughts, t! hat I still have paint, much paint perhaps…but they will not help anyone to guess how you looked in your morning, you sudden sparks and miracles of my solitude, my old, beloved wicked thoughts” Nietzsche. Does this sound like despair or irony? I am sure it is a bit of both, but I (and my optimistic self) like the irony. The irony is that those who surrender to destiny also surrender to chance. Too often we don't get it wrong we get it backwards. The title is written this way on purpose. “Say la ve”

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
 
blog comments powered by Disqus