I think Widmore has always been working to protect the Island, even in exile. Everybody crashes on the Island, poor Desmond couldn't get away, even Ben was allowed back, but a former Jungle King couldn't get back in 20 years? Once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen in Narnia----the Island is keeping Widmore away, not out of punishment, but because it needs him away so that he can protect it from afar.
I don't think Widmore is evil. I think he always knew Alex would die, and he sent Ben to kill her as a baby in a vain attempt to save Ben the anguish of causing her death sixteen years later; better that she die now than allow Ben to raise her, with Widmore knowing that Ben will later cause her death (just as Charles and Eloise were forced to do for Daniel). It wasn't a purely evil act---Charles was trying to be merciful. Notice that Alex had to be born before the Purge, and as Ben was officially with Dharma until the Purge (and there was no sign of Alex in Dharma in Ben's Purge flashbacks in Man Behind the Curtain), Ben likely left Alex with the Others while he maintained his Dharma cover. (They'd probably have asked questions if he just showed up with a baby.) If true, that means Charles allowed Alex to live among the Others.
I also don't think Widmore hates Desmond at all. I mean, why would he? We now know that Widmore spent decades as the head of a cult of jungle-dwelling Islanders, so I doubt that money was really the quality Widmore looked for most in a son-in-law. He'd want a fellow member of the Island cult, and like it or not, Desmond qualifies.
Widmore came to the hospital to check up on Desmond. He referred to Desmond as his 'colleague,' the same word Richard used to describe Ethan. In fact, Widmore was only an *** to Desmond until Desmond ended up on the Island, so Widmore was probably only pretending to hate him in order to ensure Desmond got to the Island.
I don't think Widmore is evil. I think he always knew Alex would die, and he sent Ben to kill her as a baby in a vain attempt to save Ben the anguish of causing her death sixteen years later; better that she die now than allow Ben to raise her, with Widmore knowing that Ben will later cause her death (just as Charles and Eloise were forced to do for Daniel). It wasn't a purely evil act---Charles was trying to be merciful. Notice that Alex had to be born before the Purge, and as Ben was officially with Dharma until the Purge (and there was no sign of Alex in Dharma in Ben's Purge flashbacks in Man Behind the Curtain), Ben likely left Alex with the Others while he maintained his Dharma cover. (They'd probably have asked questions if he just showed up with a baby.) If true, that means Charles allowed Alex to live among the Others.
I also don't think Widmore hates Desmond at all. I mean, why would he? We now know that Widmore spent decades as the head of a cult of jungle-dwelling Islanders, so I doubt that money was really the quality Widmore looked for most in a son-in-law. He'd want a fellow member of the Island cult, and like it or not, Desmond qualifies.
Widmore came to the hospital to check up on Desmond. He referred to Desmond as his 'colleague,' the same word Richard used to describe Ethan. In fact, Widmore was only an *** to Desmond until Desmond ended up on the Island, so Widmore was probably only pretending to hate him in order to ensure Desmond got to the Island.