The war is coming, but we haven’t seen it yet.
Throughout the story we’ve been told that if certain things don’t happen “every single one of us will die”. The reason the button had to be pushed was to save the world.
I think this is the end that Jacob speaks of – “it only ends once, everything that happens before that is just progress”
Think back to Mrs Hawking talking about the man in the red shoes. She said if she warned him about the scaffold, he’d get hit by a taxi. If she warned him about the taxi he’d fall over in the bath and break his neck. Because the universe has a way of course correcting. This is what I think is happening on the Island. If the Losties stop the electromagnetism from leaking by setting off Jughead, then it will happen when Locke smashes the computer. If Desmond stops it by turning the failsafe key……well, you get my point.
I think Jacob and MIB are the original Locke & Jack. Fate vs. free will. I don’t know if they are demi-Gods or anything more than men who over time have learned to harness the power of the Island. You wouldn’t think any kind of supernatural being could be offed by a mere mortal with a knife. Especially when he knew it was coming. I’m reminded of Bill Murray in Groundhog day – “maybe God’s not omniscient, maybe he’s just been around so long he knows everything”
I think MIB believes WHH and that we are just prolonging the inevitable, some final cataclysmic event. Jacob believes he can alter the outcome. This is why he keeps bringing people to the island.
I need to digress here.
Remember the first time we saw Richard wander out of the jungle to pull the bullet out of Locke’s leg? For us, the viewer, that happened in our present. But it also means that Flocke was already traipsing through the jungle ‘in the future’ on his way to kill Jacob. So if WHH, then that not only holds true for past events but also for present and future. Everything that is ever going to happen has already ‘happened’. That’s how Desmond could see future evens in his flashes.
Think of time as a road we travel along. Each bend we reach will be a new event because we are seeing it for the first time. We remember where we’ve been, but can’t possibly know what’s up ahead. However if we could stand away from the road say on a mountain, and look down on it, we could see the whole thing from start to finish. Everything that has been done, and is yet to be done would be laid out in front of us.
We still have free will because we can make our own decisions. But we will always make the same decision based on the same information. If the past can’t be changed, neither can the future because we will always make the same decisions based on the information/experience of the past. We are free to do what we want. It’s just that it’s all already happened.
So what does that mean for the Losties?
I believe that for a long time Jacob’s been working to alter the outcome. He refers to how long it took him to make his tapestry. I think the writers were hinting at more than his cloth here.
The variable? Hurley.
All our Losties were fated to be on 815. Unseeable forces pointed them towards that flight. They we all touched by Jacob early on, before they got to the island.
All that is, except Hurley. Everything went against him being on that plane. The attendant even said “looks like you weren’t meant to make that flight”. But he did. That’s why he was touched by Jacob AFTER being to the island. He wasn’t part of the original plan, but now holds the key.
Hurley’s been right there in every season finale, always coming out of nowhere to save the day. So far though his contributions have been somewhat unquantifiable. But I think in Season 6 this will all change. He is the variable. Whether it’s enough will remain to be seen.
I don’t know how the show will end. I read a theory that suggested the final scene would be flight 815 taking off from Sydney, leaving us to wonder if anything had in fact changed or if the cycle would just start all over again. I like this idea.
I think more will be revealed about the ability to communicate with the dead. Not much has been made of Miles’ gift or why he was important to the mission. Jacob suggests to Hurley that seeing his dead friends may be a gift rather than a curse. Richard wasn’t surprised that Ben saw his mother, and it may have been part of the reason he believed Ben to be suitable to be their leader (even though this might just have been MIB starting his plan to get Ben into power). And we’ve been seeing the dead direct proceedings throughout the whole show, either in dreams or a la Flocke.
I don’t think MIB is Smokey. I think there is one or maybe even two Smokey’s on the Island (one still under control, on malfunctioned) but that they are not what’s manifesting into our passed friends.
And one final thought. Wouldn’t it be interesting if we found out that the skeletons in the cave are really MIB (really a woman) and Jacob, and that the man we saw in the season 5 finale was just another manifestation.
Anyway I’ve rambled on for way too long now. Dissect away!
Bring on Season 6
Throughout the story we’ve been told that if certain things don’t happen “every single one of us will die”. The reason the button had to be pushed was to save the world.
I think this is the end that Jacob speaks of – “it only ends once, everything that happens before that is just progress”
Think back to Mrs Hawking talking about the man in the red shoes. She said if she warned him about the scaffold, he’d get hit by a taxi. If she warned him about the taxi he’d fall over in the bath and break his neck. Because the universe has a way of course correcting. This is what I think is happening on the Island. If the Losties stop the electromagnetism from leaking by setting off Jughead, then it will happen when Locke smashes the computer. If Desmond stops it by turning the failsafe key……well, you get my point.
I think Jacob and MIB are the original Locke & Jack. Fate vs. free will. I don’t know if they are demi-Gods or anything more than men who over time have learned to harness the power of the Island. You wouldn’t think any kind of supernatural being could be offed by a mere mortal with a knife. Especially when he knew it was coming. I’m reminded of Bill Murray in Groundhog day – “maybe God’s not omniscient, maybe he’s just been around so long he knows everything”
I think MIB believes WHH and that we are just prolonging the inevitable, some final cataclysmic event. Jacob believes he can alter the outcome. This is why he keeps bringing people to the island.
I need to digress here.
Remember the first time we saw Richard wander out of the jungle to pull the bullet out of Locke’s leg? For us, the viewer, that happened in our present. But it also means that Flocke was already traipsing through the jungle ‘in the future’ on his way to kill Jacob. So if WHH, then that not only holds true for past events but also for present and future. Everything that is ever going to happen has already ‘happened’. That’s how Desmond could see future evens in his flashes.
Think of time as a road we travel along. Each bend we reach will be a new event because we are seeing it for the first time. We remember where we’ve been, but can’t possibly know what’s up ahead. However if we could stand away from the road say on a mountain, and look down on it, we could see the whole thing from start to finish. Everything that has been done, and is yet to be done would be laid out in front of us.
We still have free will because we can make our own decisions. But we will always make the same decision based on the same information. If the past can’t be changed, neither can the future because we will always make the same decisions based on the information/experience of the past. We are free to do what we want. It’s just that it’s all already happened.
So what does that mean for the Losties?
I believe that for a long time Jacob’s been working to alter the outcome. He refers to how long it took him to make his tapestry. I think the writers were hinting at more than his cloth here.
The variable? Hurley.
All our Losties were fated to be on 815. Unseeable forces pointed them towards that flight. They we all touched by Jacob early on, before they got to the island.
All that is, except Hurley. Everything went against him being on that plane. The attendant even said “looks like you weren’t meant to make that flight”. But he did. That’s why he was touched by Jacob AFTER being to the island. He wasn’t part of the original plan, but now holds the key.
Hurley’s been right there in every season finale, always coming out of nowhere to save the day. So far though his contributions have been somewhat unquantifiable. But I think in Season 6 this will all change. He is the variable. Whether it’s enough will remain to be seen.
I don’t know how the show will end. I read a theory that suggested the final scene would be flight 815 taking off from Sydney, leaving us to wonder if anything had in fact changed or if the cycle would just start all over again. I like this idea.
I think more will be revealed about the ability to communicate with the dead. Not much has been made of Miles’ gift or why he was important to the mission. Jacob suggests to Hurley that seeing his dead friends may be a gift rather than a curse. Richard wasn’t surprised that Ben saw his mother, and it may have been part of the reason he believed Ben to be suitable to be their leader (even though this might just have been MIB starting his plan to get Ben into power). And we’ve been seeing the dead direct proceedings throughout the whole show, either in dreams or a la Flocke.
I don’t think MIB is Smokey. I think there is one or maybe even two Smokey’s on the Island (one still under control, on malfunctioned) but that they are not what’s manifesting into our passed friends.
And one final thought. Wouldn’t it be interesting if we found out that the skeletons in the cave are really MIB (really a woman) and Jacob, and that the man we saw in the season 5 finale was just another manifestation.
Anyway I’ve rambled on for way too long now. Dissect away!
Bring on Season 6