Does anyone else not see the logical conclusion that would come about if the survivors in the 70's actually do stop the incident from occurring? If they do in fact "change" things and Desmond never does crash their plane, that inevitably also means that they will never go back to the 70's to stop the incident in the first place, which then means that they will crash, and so forth...Some of them have been in the 70's for three years. THAT HAPPENED; it is not their present but now their past, which means they did end up there. The only way for that to happen is if they do end up on the island in 2004 in the first place. I think Daniel's mission is clouded because he desperately wants to save Charlotte. Course correction makes sure things happen the way they are suppose to. For this reason, I think there is no way the Losties can change the incident, because stopping it would only boomerang into them not crash! ing, not jumping through time, and then NOT STOPPING the incident in the first place(!), which then means they do crash, etc.
I think the key to the lost world is to see Fate and Choice as complementary, not contradictory. They don't necessarily get along, but they complement each other and the result is whatever happening happening. The players that look like they are prodding these people in certain directions are doing so not because they think fate needs them, but because they understand that their CHOICES are the MEANS which FATE uses to come about. Their choices are real, yet they only accomplish destiny. Anyway, I could be totally wrong, but I don't think they will stop the incident, but rather their attempts will only solidify that it happens.
I think the key to the lost world is to see Fate and Choice as complementary, not contradictory. They don't necessarily get along, but they complement each other and the result is whatever happening happening. The players that look like they are prodding these people in certain directions are doing so not because they think fate needs them, but because they understand that their CHOICES are the MEANS which FATE uses to come about. Their choices are real, yet they only accomplish destiny. Anyway, I could be totally wrong, but I don't think they will stop the incident, but rather their attempts will only solidify that it happens.