LOST Theories - DarkUFO

Long-time reader, first-time poster so please, bear with me...

Ever since 'The Substitute' [S6e04] aired on 16Feb10, something has been bothering me that I can't quite put my finger on, so I decided to (finally) post this in the hopes that some of you can help me out.

As we all know, the producers of Lost take great pains to give us clues as to what's going on in the show. Nothing, I repeat, nothing happens on Lost that isn't unintentional; caveat: unless it's a continuity error. Practically everything shown to us is strategic and deliberate; book covers, music, color-symbolism, 'items of significance' (i.e.: scales, knives, compass, comic books, etc.) In other words, they don't just throw random, meaningless stuff into the show.

Between 10:54 – 12:18 of this episode, there is a scene between Flocke & Sawyer where Flocke goes to the house in which Sawyer has sequestered himself and decided to self-medicate with a bottle of Dharma whiskey.

Flocke walks up to the house and there is a record playing on a turntable. I think the song is significant. It's by Iggy Pop & The Stooges and is entitled 'Search & Destroy'. The lyrics are as follows:


"Search And Destroy"

I'm a street walking cheetah
with a heart full of napalm
I'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb
I am a world's forgotten boy
The one who searches and destroys
Honey gotta help me please
Somebody gotta save my soul
Baby detonates for me
Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology !
Ain't got time to make no apology
Soul radiation in the dead of night
Love in the middle of a fire fight
Honey gotta strike me blind
Somebody gotta save my soul
Baby penetrates my mind
And I'm the world's forgotten boy
The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy
And honey I'm the world's forgotten boy
The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy
Forgotten boy, forgotten boy
Forgotten boy said
hey forgotten boy



Interesting lyrics.

I find it curious that this song would be playing while Flocke strolls through the front door of the house, down the hall and then into the room where Sawyer is. My question is this: to whom is the song referring, Sawyer or Flocke? I understand that Sawyer is still reeling from his loss of Juliet and may have just selected the album as a cathartic expression of grief while getting tanked on his Dharma booze, but reading the lyrics more closely and listening to the aggressive rock of the song again, I am really beginning to think that the song is more of a musical symbol of MIB as a 'destroyer'.


Dialogue of the scene:

Flocke: 'Hello, James.'

Sawyer: 'I thought you were dead.'

Flocke: 'I am.'


So, the question I pose to you is, 'What do you think?'

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
 
blog comments powered by Disqus