LOST Theories - DarkUFO

Jacob and MIB Working Together by Irocz28

I have been so consumed with trying to make sense of this alternate timeline thing I haven’t been paying attention to any of the other details of the recent episode. After watching LAX a couple times I started thinking of some other things. That got me thinking of some more things, etc, etc. So, I ended up writing this fairly long read.

To sum it up, I think there may be evidence that MIB/Smokey and Jacob are working together. I am not going as far as to say they are friends, but maybe just two individuals with the same common goal. And to accomplish that common goal, Jacob must die (The theory revolves around the idea that in death, Jacob is set free).

For the dialogue parts, whether reading the transcripts or going back and watching the scenes, just pretend that MIB and Jacob are working together. I think it will help you understand where I am coming from. By next week we should know if I am right or completely wrong. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the read.

Let’s start with the million-dollar conversation:

MIB: Do you have any idea how badly I wanna kill you?

JACOB: Yes.

MIB: One of these days, sooner or later... I'm going to find a loophole, my friend.

JACOB: Well, when you do, I'll be right here.

“Well, when you do, I’ll be right here”. Now at first that might just be a subtle jab/challenge by Jacob, or maybe it is something else. It is almost like an invitation. Jacob never scoffs at the threat. He never threatens him back. He understands and does realize how badly MIB wants to kill him and tells him that when he figures out how to do it, he will be there waiting for him.

And then we have this scene from end of “The Incident”:

JACOB: You like it? I did it myself. It takes a very long time when you're making the thread, but, uh... I suppose that's the point, isn't it?

LOCKE: Hello, Jacob.

JACOB: Well, you found your loophole.

LOCKE: Indeed I did. And you have no idea what I've gone through to be here.

BEN: Have you met before?

LOCKE: In a manner of speaking. [Whispers] Do what I asked you to, Ben.

JACOB: Benjamin... whatever he's told you, I want you to understand one thing. You have a choice.

BEN: What "choice"?

JACOB: You can do what he asked, or you can go, leave us to discuss our... issues.

BEN: Oh... so now, after all this time, you've decided to stop ignoring me. Thirty-five years I lived on this island, and all I ever heard was your name over and over. Richard would bring me your instructions--all those slips of paper, all those lists--and I never questioned anything. I did as I was told. But when I dared to ask to see you myself, I was told, "You have to wait. You have to be patient." But when he asked to see you? He gets marched straight up here as if was Moses. So... why him? Hmm? What was it that was so wrong with me? What about me?!

JACOB: What about you?

There are three things I picked up on from this scene. First was the “What about you?” line from Jacob. It seems as though Jacob could have said anything in the world other than that and Ben may have reacted differently. Once again, it is almost like he wanted to die. It is like he invited Ben to kill him, just like how he invited MIB to come back and kill him whenever he found his loophole.

The other curious line was the very first thing Jacob said. He says the thread takes a long time, but “I suppose that’s the point”. He does not sound happy when he says this. It sounds like he is trapped. Trapped in (or around) that foot with nothing better to do than make thread all day. It also goes back to earlier when he says “When you do, I’ll be right here”. Of course he will be right there. He can’t leave.

Third, we have the line about Richard always bringing those “lists” from Jacob. Did those lists ever come from Jacob? Or were they always from Richard, or the other folks residing at the Temple? For this theory to work I am going to have to say they were from the Temple. Richard never got lists from Jacob.

And then we have this quick line from Ben in the “LAX” episode:

BEN: Why didn't he fight back? Why did he let me just kill him?

Ben is right. Jacob not only let him kill him, but it is like he begged him to kill him. That is because in death, Jacob can be set free from his prison.

One thing that has bothered me since last season’s finale was the fact that Jacob seemed like he revived Locke after he fell out of the window. Now, why would Jacob revive the man whose body his “enemy” would someday take over and use as a primary tool to kill him? Maybe because he knows it is critical that John Locke live through that fall and come to the Island. Because without Locke, THEIR loophole will not exist.

We also have Jacob save Sayid too. If not for Jacob stopping Sayid from crossing the street, he would have gotten run over along with Nadia. So, why would he do this? Because Sayid is going to be a pawn just like Locke was. Dead is dead, right? The only time this didn’t apply was when we thought Locke came back to life. But, it turned out Locke was still dead, and it was MIB that had taken his body. And this time around Sayid is still going to be dead and it will be Jacob to take over his body.

So, we have Jacob save two people off island: Locke and Sayid. “Locke” will be instrumental as a device to kill him and “free” him from the Foot. And Sayid will be the new body he inhabits.

And don’t for a second think that the folks at the Temple are not aware of this. I have a feeling they are responsible for Jacob being trapped all those years and they know he is going to be pissed. They fear Jacob and know that if he has been killed, he is free to inhabit a new body. Immediately after hearing of Jacob’s death, the Others at the Temple begin to panic.

LENNON: Everyone to your posts! On the walls, prepare the ash!

Now, MIB/Smokie has been roaming the jungle for years and years. We see Smokie pull Montand down the hole by the Temple in 1988. Then we see Smokie right underneath the Temple just a few days ago when Ben was there getting threatened by Smokie/Alex. So, why would they just set up the ash now? Why would it take the death of Jacob to get them all riled up? Because Jacob’s death sets him free. Now he is most dangerous. Maybe he requires a different “brand” of ash to keep him out. Maybe we will find a similar brand of ash circling the foot, which is what kept him in there for so long.

HURLEY: Guess we're not getting outta here huh?

LENNON: This isn't to keep you in, it's to keep him out.

HURLEY: Him? Who?

Now, immediately after saying this, the camera pans to MIB/Flocke. This is a little too obvious for Lost. I think we will soon learn that when they said they wanted to keep “him” out, they meant Jacob. But, it’s too late. Because he is already inside the temple in the form of Sayid, of course.

Jacob using Sayid’s body also explains why Jacob wanted Hurley to bring Sayid to the Temple. That was his way to get in. He knew the water would not work and that Sayid would die. Then he could inhabit his body right there in the Temple. So all that preparing the Others are doing will not matter. Jacob's already in.

Jacob also persuaded Hurley to come back to the Island. He did this because he knows that after his death, he could still communicate with Hurley and convince him to take Sayid’s body to the Temple, where he could inhabit it. Maybe when Lennon came to talk to Jack at the end of the episode it was to tell him they needed to get rid of Sayid’s body before it becomes a “candidate” for Jacob to take over. By that time, it was too late.

I would assume the “rule” that Jacob and MIB had to get around was that they could not kill one another. And they could only be killed by someone if it was their choice. That is why it was important for Jacob to tell Ben that it was “his choice” right before he killed him.

So, there we have it. Jacob arranging the pieces from the outside (reviving Locke, saving Sayid from getting run over, getting Hurley to the Island). And we have MIB arranging the pieces from the inside (manipulating Ben, ensuring Richard he tells Locke he needs to die). They do this because they need to work together to be free.

I can imagine that long ago MIB/Smokey was prevented from what he wants, which is apparently to go home. And Jacob was imprisoned in this giant statue. Jacob obviously had the ability to leave the Island, but once on the Island, could not leave the area of the statue. Now they are both free. The Loophole has been completed.

"The Incident" began with Jacob dressed in white as the "good guy" and Nemisis dressed in black as the "bad guy". If there is one thing about Lost, it is that things are never as simple as black and white.

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
 
blog comments powered by Disqus